Tuesday, May 5, 2015

1. Three Months on a Motorcycle – The Nominal Route

The purpose of this entry is to give the reader a bit of information about myself, and what my plans are regarding my upcoming 15,000+ mile motorcycle trip.  My name is Larry Goeller.  I am married to Karen, and have two young-adult children from a previous marriage. Karen has a young-adult son as well.  I live in Alexandria, Virginia, where I have resided for almost 30 years.  I am a technical and cost analyst by profession, working for a company that contracts primarily for the Department of Defense (like many people in the Washington DC area).  I am 57 years old.


On May 15, I will leave on a motorcycle trip that will – with some luck – take me from Virginia south to Key West in Florida, then northwest diagonally across the continent to the Arctic Ocean in the Northwest Territories of Canada, and then on to Alaska.  Then back home.  I intend to do this in about three months, traveling on the order of 250 miles per day plus some scheduled days off.  Karen, who would not be caught dead on a motorcycle but nonetheless supports me in this, will join me for four separate weekends over this period.   In addition to flying her to Key West, Anchorage, and other locations, I have paid up my life insurance¸ updated my will, given her all my passwords, and agreed to some other terms.  Thanks Honey!  A notional map of the route appears below.



Where did the specific idea for this ride come from?  After not riding for about 25 years, I got back into motorcycles a few years ago.  I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed it; with one important exception, the riding in my youth it was just basic transportation.  This time around, long day trips of 300 miles or more have become fairly common.  Part of the decision to get back into riding again involved my kids being college age, and part was having enough retirement funds built up (plus life insurance) to take care of survivors in case I got killed riding.  I do not worry about crashing very much, but I think one should consider the possibility and address the consequences.

I had been thinking about an extended motorcycle trip for a few years now.  Perhaps US Route 50 from the Ocean City, Maryland to Sacramento, California?  Then I came across a strange article in a motorcycle magazine regarding the Iron Butt Association.  (This organization actually exists!)  They offer citations for the documented completion of “challenges,” such as riding 1000 miles in a day, going coast to coast in 3 days, and the like.  I have no intention of doing anything like that; that’s not why I ride.  But one of their challenges involves going from Key West, Florida, to Deadhorse (near Prudhoe Bay), Alaska, in 30 days.  That seemed both doable and worthy of doing.  I liked the idea of not having a defined route but only defined endpoints, and I liked the idea of riding more-or-less diagonally across the continent.  Later I decided I would rather go to the Arctic Ocean via a location other than Prudhoe Bay (which is the north end of the Alaska pipeline and primarily an industrial “man camp”), and I didn’t want to be limited by the 30 day requirement between the two.  Nonetheless, this was a key piece of inspiration.  

I’ll discuss the more general motivations behind this trip, to the extent I understand them myself, in upcoming entries.

1 comment:

Comments welcome.