Saturday, August 1, 2015

Day 79 (August 1). Iowa and vicinity

From: Grand Island, NE
To: Bethany, MO
Miles today: 327
Total miles: 16227

Route US 34 east.  That was pretty much my day today.  I took it from Grand Island, Nebraska, over the Platte River, a prototypical example of a “braided river.” It is shallow with lots of sand bars, the way it has been for thousands of years. 

The Platte River - wide and shallow.  

About an hour later, I crossed the Missouri River and entered Iowa.  I wanted to get a picture of the Missouri also, but the bridge was long and there was no good place to stop.  This river is deeper and swifter.  The Platte flows into the Missouri a few dozen miles south of Omaha, but the area is marshy and there is no town there.

I continued on US 34 through Iowa for a long time. The terrain was rolling, and there were more trees than I expected, but it was pretty much all corn fields with some hay and pasture land thrown in.  The road passed through or by a number of small towns, but nothing grabbed my attention.  Is it me?  Am I finally just tired after all these weeks on the road? Or is there really nothing much to see here?  I feel bad just writing this.  I thought about a side trip to Des Moines, but in a web search I couldn’t find anything more interesting there than the birthplace of John Wayne, so I just kept going.  I got to I-35 and took it south into Missouri, where I am now.  Tomorrow I head east again, toward Hannibal, and then Springfield, Illinois. 

Iowa.  From what I can tell, this pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.