Thursday, July 9, 2015

Day 49 & 50 (July 2 & 3). Anchorage

From: Denali, Alaska
To: Anchorage, AK
Miles today: 136, 0
Total miles: 10690

I drove the 135 miles or so from the McKinley View Hotel to Anchorage in a foggy, cold drizzle.  I could see gigantic mountains disappear into the fog and clouds as rode though the Alaska Range, and I am sure the views would have been fantastic on a clear day.  It was still a nice ride; I kind of felt like I was winding my way through enormous ghosts.  My fingers and toes got cold for the first time on this trip.  Once I got about 40 miles outside of Anchorage, the road turned into divided highway.  I rode past Wasilla (hi Sarah!), but didn’t stop.  I got to Anchorage and checked into the nice hotel I had booked for our stay.  It was just a few hours later that I left for the Airport to pick up Karen in a rental car.

The next day, Friday (July 3), was “at large” in the city.  I had planned to have my tires changed back to road tires at the Anchorage Honda motorcycle shop, but they were unable to actually get any suitable tires despite my talking to them about it three months ago.  Well, if a Honda shop can’t actually get ahold of some Honda-compatible tires, I don’t think I want them working on my cycle anyway.  The knobbies I got in Edmonton are worn, but still have a few thousand miles on them.

Anyway, Karen and I did a lot of shopping and exploring, and had a great time.  We tried to drive south of the city to the edge of the Kenai Penninsula (“Alaska’s Playground”), but traffic and road construction prevented us from getting very far.  Back in town, Karen found a sign outside a photography shop that said “sunset photo-safari tours” that lasted about four hours, and they had two seats available for that evening, so we took them. 

It turned out that the guy leading the tour was a professional photographer named Jeff Shultz, who for years has been the official photographer of the Iditarod race; the shop and these tours were how he paid the bills the rest of the year. His wife joined us, along with another professional photographer named Todd Salat, who specializes in Aurora photos. Both were very approachable and just great people.  They took us to some great spots to get photos, and even gave me (with my android phone camera) a few very helpful pointers.  For example, here is the same picture of Karen against the sunset (about 11:30 pm) without and with the HDR (“high dynamic resolution”) switch on. Who knew?

Karen at the base of Flat Top Mountain, near Anchorage.  About 11 pm. 

We also got some great, totally unexpected shots of a mother moose and her calf, right by the side of the road on the outskirts of Anchorage. Also, here is a nice shot of the alluvial plane on which Anchorage rests from the base of a nearby mountain called Flattop.  On the whole, this tour was the highlight of our day. 

Moose and calf by the roadside, Anchorage. 

Anchorage skyline, at center.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.