Sunday, July 12, 2015

Day 57 (July 10). Whitehorse to Watson Lake

From: Whitehorse, YT
To: Watson Lake, YT
Miles today: 280
Total miles: 11696

Today was another overcast day with occasional cold showers, but this time the dominant environmental factor was smoke from some very intense nearby fires.  I have heard that part of the Alaska Highway ahead of me has been closed because of it, and because of the fire itself.  I will be going a different way, south from Watson Lake into British Columbia. The road today was lovely in spite of this; good surface, mildly curvy, and as scenic as these migration routes between mountain ranges usually are.  Just another three hundred miles through the Taiga. Once again, briefly, I am struck by the fact that if I turn left (north) off of this road and go cross country, it would be at least a hundred miles before I hit another road. (That road would be the Campbell Highway, unpaved, which I drove earlier on this trip.)

One last photo post from "North of 60."  Alaska Highway, Yukon.
I crossed the 60th parallel going north on June 14.  Today is my last day above it.  So with the exception of one night in Fort Nelson, BC, I have been “up north” for 26 days, almost four weeks.  I am glad I got to spend this much time up here; I do feel like I got just a little bit of the flavor of what it is like to exist here, at least for the brief summer season.  I have sort of gotten used to it being light at midnight, and I like knowing that when I walk into the one bar in a town everyone is almost instantly my friend.  I have developed a sense of the smallness and limited variety in the towns, and of the great distances between them.  I am a city kid at heart, and I don’t think I would really ever consider moving to a place this isolated, but I feel like I am getting some sense of what the attraction is.

One thing I definitely look forward to getting back to, though, is fiber optics.  I think I will probably have to finish with interior British Columbia before I get through with that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.